Thursday, August 29, 2013

My first day as a vegetarian.

I've been thinking for a while, and finally decided to change my eating habits and become a Vegetarian. For those who do not know what a Vegetarian is, (don't look at me that way, I've known people who think that vegetarians don't eat red meat but they can eat fish and chicken, so...) I will give you the basic explanation: "A vegetarian is a person who does not eat meat, (any kind of it) for moral, religious, or health reasons."
So basically, I decided to stop eating meat. From now on, I will be eating vegetables, fruits, nuts, grains, beans, milk, eggs, cheese... WAIT. I want to open a parenthesis here and say that my goal is to become a Vegan someday. And now I'm gonna give you the definition of Veganism: "Veganism is the practice of abstaining from the use of animal products, particularly in diet, as well as following an associated philosophy that rejects the commodity status of sentient animals. A follower of veganism is known as a vegan."

Let's clarify this. During my whole life (24 almost 25 years) I've been eating every kind of food. I have a great mom who taught me that eating a colorful meal (including meat, of course) is a good thing to do, and since then I've been eating that way. I'm not picky at all. Well, I have to admit that I hate celery... (ewww I can only juice it!) But besides that, I can define myself as an "omnivorous".  But now that I'm a grown up (or so), therefore I can choose what to eat or not to, and after an exhaustive research, I decided that I want to go vegan. But of course, it's not a simple thing to do since as I told you before, I've been eating meat and dairy products for a long time.
So I think you will agree with me when I say that the most intelligent thing to do is start becoming a vegetarian to slowly switch into a vegan. And here's the main question: Why do I want to be vegan? That's a good one. First of all let me say that a couple years ago I used to think that vegetarianism and veganism were two stupid ways to ruin your life by not eating the most tastiest things in the world! (yeah, exaggerated is my middle name.. lol)  But after a while I learned to be respectful and I also learned that there are a lot of reasons why people would choose these eating habits: religion, health, personal beliefs, and so on.
Now, I can say that I want to be vegan because of two reasons: First and most importantly because I'm personally against animal cruelty. Call me "fundamentalist"if you want to, but not without taking a look to the videos I'm going to show you down below! And second because I find it very healthy. As simple as that.
With this I'm not trying to convince you to become a vegan not even a vegetarian. I'm only exposing the reasons why I decided to make such a big change in my life. It's going to take time and I know it, mostly because right now I'm living with a family since a year ago and I feel that I can't switch my eating habits out of a sudden. And also because going vegan is not as simple as it sounds. So, long story short, I'm starting with Vegetarianism. "Baby steps". That's the key to succeed.

It would be a pleasure to me if you want to join me into this life-changing challenge. Giving me support and maybe even experiencing it as well!

See you next time! Big hugs.

Flor.-

No comments:

Post a Comment