Monday, September 2, 2013

Who's craving a healthy snack today??

Soooo, here I am again after a busy weekend, trying to recover from a 70 mile biking I successfully did on Saturday. That was I-N-C-R-E-D-I-B-L-E! I went from Vienna (where I live) to Mt. Vernon (all the way south) where the house of George Washington is.
Anyways, on Friday afternoon I was planning this whole trip and I thought: "-Wait, I'm gonna have to eat something.-" So I made a list:

-Veggie sandwich
-Nuts
-Fruits (LOTS of it)
-Water (even though there's a lot of water fountains along the way)

I found out that I wanted to bring some other healthy snack. And I also wanted it to be "high-protein" since I was going to be riding my bike for long periods of time...
...After a research on the internet, I finally found the recipe I was looking for: "Roasted  Chickpeas (Garbanzo beans)". They are simply amazing... crunchy outside but soft inside, you can make them sweet, salty or even sweet&savory! I can say it's even a better snack to eat at the movies than popcorn! Oh yeah, baby. Wait until you try them.
I made some changes to the recipe because I have to admit that at some point, I hate following the original recipes, but c'mon! We all know cooking it's funnier this way!

So here we go, hope you enjoy them as much as I DID...

Roasted Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans)

Ingredients

2 cups cooked chickpeas (if canned, drain and rinse)
1-2 teaspoons olive oil, or olive oil spray/mist
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon seasonal herbs

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Place chickpeas on a paper towel and pay completely dry. Remove any loose skins.
3. Place on a baking sheet and mist with olive oil or oil of choice. Roll around to coat. Sprinkle with seasonings of your choice and toss well to coat. Make sure chickpeas are in a SINGLE LAYER.
4. Bake for 15 minutes, toss well and flip, then bake for about 15 minute.
5. Let cool and eat! :)




As you can see, I made them salty but you can play with the seasonings and even use some sweet ones like honey, cinnamon.. or whatever you like!!

Hope you have a great Monday and if you are in the US... have a good Labor's day!

See you soon, big hugs!

Flor.-

No comments:

Post a Comment